Asia is home to some of the most lively and vibrant cities in the world. Some of these cities are unlike any other in the world. City tours here have a bit of everything. Adventure, culture, local cuisine, history, and architecture are some of the key components of any best city tours exploration that you will do in Asia. Additionally, the options provided to you will help you to pinpoint the ideal destination for anyone here.
You can never be prepared for the surprises that the continent of Asia has in store. The magic and mystical nature of the cities here will make your vacation special. With proper arrangement and preparation, you can easily map out vacation here from few days to few weeks. Similarly, there is no destination for travelers more flexible than Asia in budget alternatives.
From the morning prayers in the monasteries at Lhasa to the energetic nightlife of Tokyo, here are the 10 best city tours in Asia for travelers in 2021.
1. Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo selects itself as one of the best cities in the whole world for travelers. This large city can easily be your go-to vacation location with its alluring beauty and modern amenities. Most people consider Tokyo to be a much expensive city. In many ways, it is but you can easily plan a relaxed holiday under budget. A city tour of Tokyo is a series of experiences ranging from traditional shrines to technological wonders.
- Senso-Ji, the majestic shrine of the goddess of mercy with historical significance.
- Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, the best option for quality time with your family.
- Shinjuku Goyen national garden.
- Nightlife and street foods from stalls and vendors.
- Museums and monuments showing the history, art, and architecture of Japan.
Things to do
- Sightseeing of Mount Fuji from Hakone Ropeway.
- Get on a river cruise (Suijo-Bus)
- Wander around the Roppongi Hills with the views of Tokyo from Mori Tower.
- Watch a Sumo match in the Kokugikan arena.
- Take a relaxing dip in traditional Sento.
2. Pokhara, Nepal
Pokhara is one of the most relaxed and naturally beautiful cities in Asia. With a diverse landscape and other different factors, it is unofficially the travel capital of western Nepal. As the gateway to some fantastic trails in the Himalayas, travelers often enjoy a city tour of Pokhara to complete their vacation. With several adventure options, Pokhara has been on multiple lists of the best cities to visit on this continent.
- Annapurna and Macchapucchre (Fishtail) mountain views from different sites.
- Traditional Hindu temples showing the culture, religion, tradition, and Nepalese lifestyle.
- Natural attractions like caves, lakes, and waterfalls to add to the city tour delights.
- Adventure activities in and around the city for the thrill element to your tour.
- Many fantastic hiking and trekking options to join with the city tour.
Things to do
- Sunset boating in the PhewaLake with mountain views.
- Hiking to Sarangkot for a morning sunrise view of the Annapurna Massif.
- Paragliding over the city for a birds-eye view of Pokhara valley and surroundings.
- Trying Thakali cuisine, a must-have local cuisine of Nepal.
- Partying Nightlife in the Lakeside region of Pokhara.
3. Jaipur, India
India has some very overrated and underrated cities that you can visit as a traveler. Jaipur is one destination here in the Rajasthan state that you can’t get wrong with. Also known as the Pink city, Jaipur boasts an abundance of forts, palaces, temples, and beautiful monuments. A city tour here will take you deep into the Indian culture, hospitality, and at the same time the history and Mughal architecture.
- City palace at the heart of the old Jaipur city.
- UNESCO world heritage site of JantarMantar, the astronomical wonder from the 17th century.
- HawaMahal, the palace of breeze at the core of the city now.
- Amber Fort, one of the iconic landmarks of India built in the 15th century.
- Other wonderful monuments each differently delightful than the prior throughout the Jaipur city.
Things to do
- Visit the historical, religious, and heritage sites throughout the city.
- Cycle around the city covering the major destinations in the premise of the main city.
- Try the elusive and massive RajasthaniThali with over two dozen constituent dishes.
- Jhalana Safari in the forest reserve near the city for sighting the Leopards.
- Shop for some colorful local and traditional dresses in the local shops of Jaipur.
4. Bangkok, Thailand
Thailand doesn’t require many definitions as one of the most popular cities for travelers in Asia. Often considered as the gateway to the pristine beaches and coastal islands that Thailand is known for, the city in itself has many fantastic experiences for travelers. From the exotic variant of traveling to much more relaxed ones, Thailand city tours have what every type of traveler has in their minds.
- Wonderful monuments, Buddhist Temples and monasteries, and modern skyscrapers completing a city tour.
- Stunning Museum of Contemporary Art for art/craft admirers.
- Garden and nature-based region for peace-loving travelers.
- Thai Cuisine and iconic (sometimes daring) street foods.
- Wild and buzzing Nightlife and amusing local markets.
Things to do
- Visit the Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World.
- Enjoy the nightlife here with several world-famous bars and restaurants to try.
- Explore around the majestic Grand palace of Thailand including the Spiritual temple of Emerald Buddha.
- Attend the Sprawling Chatuchak weekend Market.
- Try getting around in a water taxi in Bangkok.
5. Thimphu, Bhutan
Bhutan is an underrated travel destination in South Asia. Often most people are here for trekking or similar activities in the rural regions. The city tour of Thimphu will surprise you in many ways here.
- Traditional culture, art, and lifestyle unhampered and untouched by modernization.
- Buddhist monasteries and shrines here holding some amazing legends and stories.
- Landscape views from different points of the city.
- Local cuisine and hospitality unlike any other place in Asia.
- Eco-tourism capital being the only carbon-negative country in the world.
Things to do
- Visit the major Temples, Monasteries, Dzongs, and monuments of Thimphu.
- Explore the Royal Botanical garden.
- Wear the local Gho and Kira.
- Visit the local paper factories and craft workshops.
- Guided hike to JigmeDorji National Park.
6. Kandy, Sri Lanka
Kandy might not be the most popular city of Sri Lanka, but it has a complete set of components making a wonderful city tour here. It is a cultural and religious experience that you can’t miss in 2021.
- Temple of Sacred Tooth relic
- Peradeniya Garden, the largest garden on the island with a large diversity of plant species.
- Commonwealth war Cemetry, and other monuments from a different era.
- Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage, giving a serene addition to your Kandy City Tour.
- Ceylon tea Museum.
Things to do
- Get on a train ride to Ella from Kandy for a picturesque ride to Sri Lanka.
- Walk around Kandy Lake and visit the sacred tooth relic Temple.
- Visit the majestic GaladeniyaVihara dating the 14th century.
- Explore the local markets of the Kandy old town.
- Stroll through Udawattakele forest reserve.
7. Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu is a city of wonders and with six UNESCO world heritage sites, thousands of small and big temples, and dozens of beautiful monuments to look forward to in a city tour. The city tours also constitute nearby hiking destinations and natural viewpoints.
- Six of the UNESCO World Heritage sites throughout the Kathmandu valley.
- Traditional streets and settlements, frozen in time for an authentic look at the city.
- Entertainment zones for relaxation and shopping.
- Multiple day hike options from different points in the city.
- Historic Palaces, courtyards, and iconic shrines from several.
Things to do
- Try the Newari cuisine in the Newari settlements of Kathmandu.
- Hike to the Monkey temple and enjoy the extended view of the Kathmandu valley.
- Ride towards the hilltop village of Nagarkot and enjoy the sunrise view over the Himalayas.
- Souvenir shopping in the Thamel market.
- Explore the ancient town of Bhaktapur with a beautiful specimen of architecture, wood, and stone sculptures.
8. Bagan, Myanmar
Bagan is a city popular for the wonderful pagodas which age hundreds of years old. Unlike most people think these pagodas are not located in a single region. They are scattered throughout the nation. Some of the most beautiful and appealing pagodas are in the old capital city of Bagan. Bagan City tour assures that you miss none of the amazing temples and monuments in this city with plenty more to witness in a brief time.
- Thousands of Pagodas from perfectly preserved ones to ruins making up the city.
- Bagan Archeological Museum holding many relics and historical components of Myanmar’s history.
- Buddhist shrines and spiritual centers of Bagan with devotees from all around the nation.
- Wonderful landscape view all around which can be enjoyed from any of the vantage points here.
- Fantastic sights for photography lovers to shine their lenses on.
Things to do
- Explore some well-known and other unique beautiful pagodas in the Bagan city.
- Rented Bike ride around the city trying fruits and local snacks.
- Try some authentic Burmese cuisine at the Kyaw Kitchen.
- Hot air Baloon ride for a pleasant sunrise view of the Bagan city and surrounding.
- Explore the handicraft stores here and learn about the local way of preparing things.
9. Vientiane, Laos
Laos is one of those Asian Countries which will make you return for your next vacation due to its mysteries and diversity. The capital Vientiane often makes it into the list of must-be places in Asia. While some other cities in the region have seen a lot of travelers, Vientiane is a good option to have for your city tour in Southeast Asia.
- Buddha Park housing hundreds of different sized Buddhist Sculptures.
- Lao National museum ran in a beautiful French colonial building.
- Wat Ong TeuMahawihan ‘Temple of the Heavy Buddha’.
- KaysonePhomvihane memorial of the first leader of Independent Laos.
- Golden temple of Pha That Luang.
Things to do
- Explore the major monuments of Vientiane including the Patuxai Victory Monument.
- Visit the most significant cultural center of Laos as Pha That Luang Stupa.
- Visit the Lao textile Museum in Vientiane city.
- Hike to the Wat Dane Soung Jungle Temple.
- Walk around the beautiful Kuang Si Falls.
10. Lhasa Tibet
Tibet is an emerging travel destination for culture and adventure lovers all around the world. The city tour of Lhasa is a comprehensive tour covering some of the major attractions and sites in the capital of Tibet.
- Wonderful monasteries with some of the most sacred places in the world for Tibetan Buddhism.
- Naturally gifted areas and landscape view unmatched by any other cities around the world.
- Potala Palace, the massive palace of the Former Dalai Lamas in Tibet.
- Tibetan culture, one of the most preserved and unchanged cultures in the world.
- Mountain views to enjoy during sunrise and sunset.
Things to do
- Visit the Potala and Norbulingka palace exploring Tibetan art and architecture.
- Barkhor square exploration with a visit to Jokhang Temple, the spiritual center of the country.
- Sera, Drepung, and Ganden monastery visit, three of the major monasteries in Tibet.
- Expedition to the nearby destinations from Lhasa.
- Try authentic Tibetan cuisine.
Asian city tours are amazing to do as a traveler and with a professional local guide, you can make the most of your time here. With these ten cities, you can’t go wrong while planning your next visit to Asia.